Friday, December 28, 2012

Then Our Mouths were Filled with...

     I'm not sure if anyone still reads this woefully neglected blog of ours, but I've got some things on my heart that I need to put on (virtual) paper. If they end up being just between God and me, my prayer is that they will bless His heart.  And if you're not God, but you happen to come across this post and take the time to read it, please leave a comment so I know you stopped by :).  Nearly two weeks ago, I turned in my very last college paper.  Another chapter in my life is done.  As I look back at the years I spent working toward my degree, I am so humbled by God's faithfulness and provision. 

     Too often I get caught up in the stresses of life and forget to share the good things God has done.  I use up my words complaining about things that aren't going my way, and I neglect to pray.  Complaining is so much easier than praying.  But I'm done with easy.  So today I want to share with you something that God did last year when I took the time to pray.

     It was a typical day at the office.  I was working as a student office assistant in the Human Resources department at my college and was manning a variety of ordinary tasks, such as filing contracts, stapling forms, replying to emails, and answering several phone lines.  To the people walking by my desk, I'm sure I looked quite peaceful.  But on the inside, my stomach was in knots and I was overwhelmed with stress.  I was taking some of the toughest classes of my college career, and the homework load was intense.  I was also dealing with a variety of tough issues in several relationships in my life, and was feeling inadequate and helpless.  At the same time, I had to begin to plan and prepare for the coming semester.  I had already registered for classes, but was beginning to doubt whether I would actually be able to take them.  You see, money was tight, and paying for both textbooks and tuition seemed nearly impossible.  I knew I needed to take on another part-time job in order to cover my costs, but hadn't the foggiest idea how I would find time to job search.  Plus, I only had time to work about six more hours a week, and who in the world would want to hire someone for such a small amount of time?

As I sat at my desk that morning, I began to silently pour my heart out to God.  I don't remember exactly what I prayed, but it was something along the lines of, "God, I'm overwhelmed.  I believe You have me here for a reason, and I want to see this through, but it feels impossible right now.  Lord, You know my need.  Please help me to find another part-time job to fill in those extra six hours in my work schedule and to provide the finances I need for next semester.  Amen."

When I finished praying, I continued to work, still feeling stressed and frustrated.  About twenty minutes later, a woman I barely recognized from another office walked up to my desk.  "Hi," she said.  "I know you don't really know me, but I was just wondering if you'd like another part-time job for next semester.  I only need someone for about six hours a week."

Being the incredibly eloquent collegiate that I was, I replied, "Are you serious?"  She assured me that she was, indeed, serious.  With tears welling up in my eyes, I took the job on the spot.  My God is good.  He is Jehovah Jireh:  "God Our Provider."

If we want the world to know our God, let us not be silent about His loving acts.  Remember that the nations noticed when the people of Israel rejoiced in the goodness of their God.  They wrote,

  "Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
“The Lord has done great things for them.”
The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy."
 
Psalm 126: 2 & 3
 
Oh, that the nations would hear our praises and know the greatness of our God!

2 comments:

The Sisters said...

I stopped by ;)
Thanks for sharing God's goodness and praising His name on your little virtual piece of paper!
Eliza

Elena said...

I'm not God, but I did read it. :) Thanks for sharing your story!