Monday, July 12, 2010

What do you do?

Ever since I started working at Kal's (more than two years ago now - wow!), I've gotten a lot of people asking me, "What exactly do you do there?" So I thought it was high time I gave you a little glimpse into my day. I usually start with a cup of half cappuccino, half hot chocolate. Dad has coffee, but I guess I'm not old enough yet. :-) This is my desk. I had to add my own personal touch. I'm not the secretary, but I do some filing. Technically, you could probably call me a salesperson, since I'm usually the first person to help a customer who comes in the door. I can do most of the sales, but some of it is far over my head, and that's when I'm thankful I have my dad to help me out! When I first started, the hardest thing to learn was the computer system. Most stores have a bar code system and they just have to scan the item and the computer takes care of the rest. Because there is no practical way we could scan everything we sell (lots of it wouldn't fit in the store!), we have to enter the number in the computer, which means we have to know the number. Some of the numbers (called sku's), are simple. For instance, the sku for a 2x4-8' board is 248. Those ones I picked up quickly. Some are a little harder, like 16 penny sinker nails are 16DCC. Ok, those aren't too hard. Some are hard, like a certain box of nails is NA33314RG. Those ones all have some sort of reasoning behind them, and can be figured out. Then there are the things that have no rhyme or reason behind them and are just a number on the item. Most of the little things inside are this way. These are easy and hard, because you don't have to remember the sku, just type it in, but sometimes there are 4 or 5 different numbers on the package, and you have to figure out which one is the right one. Then there are the wonderful ones whose numbers have changed and we haven't changed them in the computer yet. To top it all off, there are about 6,000 sku's in our computer. I remember getting so frustrated trying to learn all that I needed to know to be able to do things on my own, but also feeling so proud when I could finally do it! Mostly I work inside. Keeping the caulking shelves full is one of my jobs. I do go outside to load customers up sometimes, if it is a small load, or if everyone else is busy. I finally know my way around the yard well enough so I can almost always at least tell people where something is, even if it is too heavy for me to load up for them. Since a lot of the customers are contractors that I have gotten to know well, they are very obliging and don't mind lifting the heavy things in themselves. The other part of my job is cleaning. I spend a lot of time with that broom. Along with sweeping, I clean the bathroom, which isn't bad at all, because, as you can see, it is not very big! I bring something for Dad's lunch almost everyday. We have a couple George Foreman grills in the backroom on the workbench that I use frequently. After lunch, I wash the dishes in that plastic tub there. I also do some deliveries, if they are small, or if we are really busy. I can't drive the two-ton truck because I don't have my CDL (which is fine by me because I would be scared to death to try to back that thing up!), but I can drive the one-ton truck, and sometimes I take things out in my dad's truck. Otherwise, for deliveries, I get the inside stuff ready to go. This includes nails/screws, caulking, joist hangars, etc. We send nails out in paper bags, and I have these cute little smiley face stickers I put on the bags. They embarrass Ogema, our delivery guy, to no end, but he's a good sport. I really have to say I love working here. It is certainly not where I pictured myself ever working, and sometimes I'm amazed that God helped me stick with it long enough to learn to love it. I am so thankful for many of the contractors that come in, and the time I have here with my dad is irreplaceable. There. Now you have an idea of what I do during the day!

3 comments:

The Sisters said...

Julie,
Thanks for sharing a picture into your day. I love that you have added your personal touch to different things. Plus, I think it is great that you support your Dad by working with him. Good job Julie!
Katelyn

The Sisters said...

Thanks for the glimpse into your workdays...it was fun to see pictures and to read about the variety of work you do...from making a delivery to making your dad's lunch! :)
~Eliza

Annette said...

Good Work!