Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Throat of Christ

Hey all! Amy here. If you haven't heard yet, I am spending my summer as a counselor at a local Bible camp and LOVING it! We have been blessed with a great staff team, beautiful weather and some really fun kids! I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve at this camp! Since I'm away from home for most of the week and have very limited access to the internet, I haven't kept up with the blog world much. (Thanks, Julie, for picking up the slack on our blog!) This weekend, though, I feel led to share with you a little of what I learned this week from the six beautiful little ladies in my cabin. Each day we spent time doing devotions in our cabin. One day we talked about being the body of Christ and about how each part of the body is necessary to fill a certain role. We read through part of 1 Corinthians 12, and then we asked the girls to think about people they knew at camp and what parts of Christ's body those people might be serving as. The girls first mentioned the chapel speaker and decided that he was probably serving as the heart and mouth of Christ, because he really loved the Lord and talked about that love to other people (pretty insightful for nine- and ten-year-olds!). I asked if they could think of anyone else and one girl said the name of our head counselor. "And what part of Christ's body do you think she might be serving as?" I asked. She paused for a second, then blurted out, "The THROAT!" Trying very hard (and somewhat unsuccessfully) to stifle my giggles, I asked, "And why would you say that?" She quickly replied, "Because she loves to sing!" I thought about that little talk a lot throughout the week and had a few good laughs over it. I'm pretty sure that our head counselor had never thought of herself as the "throat of Christ" before. Yet what a role to fill! Certainly, none of us is limited to serving as just one part of the body. On any given day, you might take on the roles of dozens of "body parts" for the glory of God. But today, I want to challenge you to intentionally be the "throat of Christ." Use your vocal chords to praise our Holy Lord! Take some time to sing a song of praise all the way through and think about the words and what they mean to you. Tell someone about a blessing God has put into your life and ask what He's been doing in theirs. Talk to God and thank Him for His love and faithfulness. He is so good and so worthy of our worship!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool one week i think u had my friends sister her name was Miah


love taylor