Friday, April 16, 2010

Psalm 51:12

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."
I came across this verse this morning. I love it because it reminds us that just the fact of our salvation gives us immeasurable joy, and also that we should ask God to remind us of everything He's done for us. Beth Moore says in the Bible study "Breaking Free" that sometimes we aren't free because we don't want to be; we are too comfortable in our bondage, or too scared of what will happen when we let go. She says we can pray for God to change our "want to." I think that applies to other things too. Sometimes I just don't want to be patient with my sisters, or I don't want to volunteer at church for one more thing, or I don't want to help with the dishes. Even if I do it, my spirit is probably not willing. To me, this verse says that joy and a willing spirit go hand in hand. And it makes sense: if we are filled with joy from Him, our spirits will be willing to do what He wants us to do. We can ask God for joy to change our "want to's!"

1 comment:

Hannah T. said...

What a great reminder! Thank you, Julie! (or was it Amy who posted this?)

Blessings! Hannah T.