Thursday, April 8, 2010

Published!

When I got home from Arizona on Monday, there was an envelope on my dresser with Taste of Home's magazine, Simple and Delicious. At first I thought it was just another advertisement to get me to subscribe to the magazine, but then I looked in the envelope and there was a letter in there. It said that I was a runner-up in one of their recipe contests, and my prize was a year's subscription to the magazine! I was so excited! I had entered the contest like last summer, and I had almost forgotten about it completely. But there was my recipe, with a picture and everything. I've never won anything like this before! Since it was in their magazine, it is now on their website too. My recipe was for "Banana-Berry Pie." I had the idea in my mind for a while, and when I saw they were having a contest for berry recipes, I decided to go for it. Now I am excited to try other recipe contests!

Banana-Berry Pie

Ingredients:

1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs

5 tablespoons butter, melted

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon ground ginger

FILLING:

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon strawberry gelatin

3/4 cup cold water

2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese

1/4 cup cold 2% milk

1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix

Directions: Combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and ginger. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and gelatin. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Arrange 1 cup strawberries over crust. Pour gelatin mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.

In a large bowl, beat the sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, milk and pudding mix for 1 minute. Spread over top of pie. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Garnish with remaining strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.

5 comments:

The Sisters said...

That is SO fun! Like I said, you should try out for more!
Katelyn

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Julie! This is the first of many, I'm sure . . .
Roberta

The Sisters said...

Wow! How exciting!
I agree...you should do more! And I just happen to know someone who would love to taste-test for you anytime! ;)
~Eliza

Hannah said...

How exciting!! I'm so happy for you!

Hannah said...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Banana-Berry-Pie?cpi=1&sort=