Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Prom 2010

Last weekend, Katie and I (Amy) attended our youth group's alternative prom event together. Approximately 80 high school students from across the area participated in the evening of dining and dancing in a Christ-honoring atmosphere. We all had so much fun!
Julie graciously agreed to do our hair for the occasion, and she did a wonderful job! I believe she spent about six hours that day combing, curling, pinning, and spraying our hair to make it stay "just so." My dear friend Roberta spent the afternoon with us so that Julie could do her hair. (I got to do everyone's makeup, which I thoroughly enjoyed!) I was really glad Roberta came. She has a way of calming my nerves and helping me to see the big picture. Thanks, Roberta!
Here we are, all dolled up and ready for the disco! (Our theme for the night was Disco Fever.) Now that you can see the gorgeous dress I got to wear, I should tell you the story behind it. When Julie and I were at Districts the weekend before prom, we had a few hours to shop at the mall in Rochester. I thought I would look in the department stores there to see if they had any good sales on prom dresses. (I was planning to wear one of Julie's old ones if I didn't find anything.) I tried on many dresses, and found several that I liked, but I didn't let myself get attached to any of them because they were way out of my price range. In the last store, we had about twenty minutes left to shop when I tried on this beautiful gown. Seeing my big grin, Julie asked, "Do you like this one the best?" "Yeah," I said, "but there's no way I can spend this much money on a dress! Besides, I love your green one and I won't mind wearing it one bit!" With a sheepish grin on her face, Julie asked, "Do you want your graduation present early?" My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it! I kept asking, "Are you serious? Are you sure?" She assured me that she was, and the rest is history. It was so fun to wear my very own, brand new gown to my senior prom, and I felt like a princess in it! The whole story is so characteristic of Julie. She is so generous, and loves to give special gifts to the people she loves. Thank you, Julie, from the bottom of my heart!
All the kids in the above picture are children of the people in the Couple's Bible study my parents began attending when Julie was a baby. Katie and I have had the privilege of growing up with these fun kids, and it was so great to get a picture of us all together looking so fancy!
All in all, Prom 2010 was a blast and I am so thankful I got to be a part of it!

2 comments:

Hannah T. said...

You look so beautiful, Amy! I'm glad you had a good time!

The Sisters said...

It's so much fun to get all dressed up! Looks like you had a beautiful night in beautiful dresses! :)
~Eliza