Monday, November 15, 2010

Kolory

That means "colors" in Polish. Less than three months, and I (Julie) will be in Radom! It's coming up so fast. But that's not the subject of this post, just thought I'd share my excitement with all of you. Back to colors. When I was younger, if I needed to remember a fact, I would assign it a color/colors in my mind, and then when I needed to retrieve that fact, all I had to do was think of what color it was and I could usually come up with what I needed. Mostly I used it for things like history tidbits. Many eras had their own specific colors, and things in that era would have sub-colors. I had no idea that I did this until we were playing Trivial Pursuit on night (love that game!), and my mom asked me how I had remembered some obscure fact. My very intelligent sounding answer was, "Well, it's dark red and gold." You can imagine the looks I got. I tried to explain, and from then on whenever I was trying to remember something, my family would say, "What color is it?" I kept up this method of filing things away probably halfway through high school, but I think it's one of those things that fades as you get older. I can still do it, but it has to be deliberate. When I was younger, I didn't think specifically about what color something was going to be, it just was that color, but now I have to assign a color consciously and it doesn't always work as well as it used to. Even though I don't remember things that way anymore, colors are still a strong trigger to get me to think about things. Take my beautiful new scarf for example: I love this scarf. It's not red. It's Christmas red. My favorite color. First it brings thoughts of all the wonderful Christmases we have had, all because of the first Christmas. But underneath that, this color always gives me the overwhelming sense of the sacrifice of Jesus at the cross. How appropriate that Christmas red is the same color as His blood.

5 comments:

Guntzel Girls said...

I didn't know that was the Polish word for colors--that's cool! And I agree that Christmas red has got to be one of the most heartwarmingly beautiful colors in the world :-). Thanks for posting, Jules!
~Amy~

The Sisters said...

That is so funny! Maybe I should try assigning colors to the different diseases I am studying for my test tomorrow! Hmmmmm...the only color I can think of for the renal system is yellow.
Katelyn

Anonymous said...

Do you have synesthesia?

Guntzel Girls said...

Anonymous,
Haha! That's what I asked her after taking General Psychology last year! Of course, when I take classes like that, I start diagnosing everyone I know with strange conditions ;-). Guess we'll have to wait to hear what Julie thinks.
~Amy~

Guntzel Girls said...

What's synesthesia? Obviously I didn't give that one a color when Amy asked me that last year! Julie