Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back to Basics

I (Julie) just finished one of the best Bible studies I've done in a while. In preparation for the trip to Poland, each team member is sent a packet of Bible studies to complete, and then 5 of them are chosen for us to do with our students during the workshop. Most of the studies are on basic aspects of Christianity and the teachings of Jesus. The last study is always a walk-through of the Gospel, starting with God's purpose for creating us, our separation from God due to sin, God's solution to our separation through Jesus, our response to the cross, and finally, the assurance we have in Christ. Nothing I haven't heard before, but the sweetest message of all time. As much as I love Bible studies that search deep into the Scriptures and stretch me to think in ways I haven't before, I don't think I'll ever get tired of doing this one. It reminded me of the Jeremy Camp concert at the Events Center this fall. The whole concert was great, but the song that I remember the most was "Give me Jesus." All the instruments were silent except for Jeremy's guitar, and I sat in my chair by the front of the stage with my hands turned up in my lap and tears in my eyes as the whole room cried out for Jesus. I will always keep striving to learn all I can about my Lord and His Word. I never want to get to the point where I think I know enough and am content to remain there. But I also never want to lose my focus, and no matter how much I learn, I will pray, "Just give me Jesus."

No comments: