Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wherever you are...

Last Monday, my (Amy's) spring semester classes began. And so far, they're going just fine. I've met some sweet new people and gotten caught up with some old friends. But sometimes I have a tough time taking school seriously. I tend to put it on the back burner of my life. Don't get me wrong--I get good grades. I just know I could get a lot more out of my classes if I really pushed myself to learn and grow.
Jim Elliot used to say, "Wherever you are, be all there." School is definitely an area where I'm not always "all there." In fact, just today I got called on in class and realized I had no idea what the class had been talking about or what information the professor wanted from me. (Granted, I had just given blood and was busy mentally reciting the mantras "Don't throw up...don't pass out...don't throw up...don't pass out..." You get the idea). But lately, I've found myself in situations like this far too often. So I'm making it one of my New Year's resolutions to be "mentally present" wherever I go. To be fully engaged even in casual conversations, to focus on what my instructors are saying, and to set aside distractions and concentrate on schoolwork. I want my actions at school (and life in general) to reflect the character of Christ.
Colossians 3:17
"Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

3 comments:

The Sisters said...

Thanks for sharing Amy!
~Eliza

Laurie said...

A great goal! BTW Wherever do you get the cute tmeplates???

Guntzel Girls said...

Thanks Laurie! We get the templates from thecutestblogontheblock.com. They have tons to choose from and they're absolutely FREE!
~Amy~