Friday, November 6, 2009

Camelot and Kissing

Last night, some of us went to Bemidji High School's production of Camelot (Amy is sick and Dad didn't feel like going). I (Julie) thought it was very well done, and especially the three main actors were spot-on. I do think that story is interesting--that whole part of history intrigues me. Ok, any part of history intrigues me. The part that bothered me though, was the scene were Guenevere and Lancelot are found kissing in her bedroom (Guenevere is married to King Arthur). Besides the fact that they weren't supposed to be married and that you feel bad for Arthur and fear the consequences for those two, I felt bad for the girl who played Guenevere, because she really had to kiss Lancelot and make it look real. Now, I have no idea how she felt; maybe they really like each other, and maybe she has kissed many other guys. For me, though, that first kiss, and especially one that passionate (they really did make it look real--no fear of cooties in those two), is reserved for one man, and one man only. I know, I know, it's only theater and it's not for real, but even if my greatest desire in life was to be an actress and this was the play that was going to launch my career, I don't think I would go through with that. Once that first kiss is gone, it's gone. If it pleases God to bring me a husband someday, I am not going to cheat him out of that first kiss. Call me a romantic, but it just makes sense that you can only have one first kiss, just as a person can have only one first birthday. I'm not saying it is a sin to kiss someone if that someone doesn't end up being the one you marry (I'll leave that up to God), but it would take some of the magic (metaphorically, I don't believe in abracadabra) out of it, don't you think? **Disclaimer: I don't think about kissing all day, and there are many other things that I think are more important in a marriage relationship, but I think I'll just tackle this one for today, and leave the rest until I actually have a little experience. Oh, and I am not ignoring the part of Lancelot in this, he had to kiss just as much as she did, but I can't pretend to know the guy's part.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree.
Chelsea

The Sisters said...

I totally agree, I have often thought about that whenever I see plays or movies!
Katelyn

Guntzel Girls said...

I was just talking about that with a friend the other day. I think, in the heat of the moment, it's easy for people (guys and girls) to give in physically, without thinking about the future consequences. I would hate to finally know the man God has chosen for me to marry and be stuck thinking, "Oh, I wish I would have saved that kiss for him instead." Great post, Jules!


~Amy~