Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Not-So-Wuthering Heights

I (Julie) have been reading "Wuthering Heights" recently, as it is also one of the books on my list to read someday. So far, I'm not impressed. As with "The Scarlet Letter," which, by the way, I did like a little bit better by the time I finished, but not much, I'm not done with it yet, but I'm not foreseeing it getting much better. For anyone that has not read it, basically it's the story of this man, Heathcliff, who is so in love with this girl, Catherine, but he's beneath her socially, he leaves for a few years, she marries someone else, and then he comes back determined to win her back and destroy everyone else who is close to her. Then she dies, and he is more obsessed than ever. He is just a mean, depressed person, and he wants to make everyone else's life miserable. What a sad life! Now, contrary to how it might sound, I do love to read, and most of the books I read, I really like. Here are some that are on my list that I have thoroughly enjoyed:
"The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Emmuska Orczy "Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen
I'm sure there are more that I will remember as soon as I post this, but as I am not at home, I don't have my list in front of me. I am getting so excited for my trip to Poland! Please be praying that there would be more Americans coming forward to serve on this team; especially needed is an adult (over 21) who would be able to act as a guardian for another girl from our church who wants to go, but is only 17. Under the policy of International Messengers, she needs an adult guardian, and as I am only 19, I don't qualify. It is also looking like I will get to spend about 5-6 days with Marie in Belgium! I praise God that He has opened these doors!

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I would agree that Wuthering Heights is pretty much just strange...
Have you read Persuasion by Jane Austen? It's one of her lesser known ones but it's really good! I enjoy reading your blog and will be praying for your upcoming trip. (Lyndi was my guardian when we went to Serbia; I had forgotten that and the teasing that went with it. :)