Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Learning Spanish!

Hola, mi amigos y mi familia! (I think that could be roughly translated to "Hello, my friends and family!" Correct me if I'm wrong. ;-) I know the length of time between blog posts has been getting ridiculous, but I'm hoping that since my (Amy's) school has now dismissed for the summer, I will have a chance to post more often. Anyway, let me tell you what I've been up to! As some of you already know, I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel to Mexico this June with a team from my church. We will be working with Youth With A Mission in serving the people of Ensenada. I am so excited! As a team, we will be doing some or all of the following: working at a local orphanage, putting on a Vacation Bible School for the local children, doing light construction and maintenance work, and ministering through street evangelism/dramas. One thing I am praying about is the language barrier. I took one year of Spanish in high school, but my Spanish skills leave much to be desired. My wonderful youth pastor recently gave me a Spanish/English New Testament (along with Psalms and Proverbs), and I decided to try memorizing a few verses before we leave. So, the first one I tackled was, "Porque tanto amo Dios al mundo, que dio a su Hijo unigenito, para que todo el que cree en el no se pierda, sino que tenga vida eterna." Any guesses as to the reference? (Keep in mind I don't know how to actually type in the Spanish punctuation, so I'm missing a few accent marks here!) I am so enjoying reading and memorizing the Bible in another language and trying to figure out the translation back to English! If you think of it, please join me in prayer for this trip. Ask the Lord to make us teachable, and willing and able to serve. Ask that He will fill us with His Spirit, so that our work may be fruitful for His kingdom. Pray for safety and health for all, especially with current concerns about swine flu and Mexican drug cartels. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! God bless you all!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow Amy! This is very exciting to read about! I will be praying for you. I know that you will be so loved by the little children there...you are so good with children. Keep us updated!

By the way, was that John 3:16?

Freedom's Call Band said...

Hey Amy!
Thanks for posting!
By the way, you asked for correction, so I must tell ya that to be "proper" Spanish it would have to be "mis" in front of amigos ;), however I think you would've remembered that after reading it again...you remember things so well!
That is so neat that you have a spanish/english Bible to help you learn!!!
Ooooh, I know the verse...John 3:16! Do Melanie and I win prizes for guessing it right??? Just kidding! :)
Thanks (to Julie too) for your help with the invitations the other day! I'll be praying for you and your trip! See ya soon!
Eliza

Guntzel Girls said...

You're both right! As my youth pastor would say, "Way to be!" Eliza, I totally forgot about saying "mis amigos" when it's plural! Good thing I added the disclaimer about it being a rough translation ;-)! Thanks to you both for your prayers! Luv ya!

~Amy~

Wisconsin Farmgirls said...

What a blessing to the people there and for you this trip will be! Hold onto our Father's hand and he will lead you! He is going to be glorified through you as he does all things for your good (although your good may not always be your enjoyment or pleasure!). I will pray for you.

Chelsea M