Friday, February 25, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

This week, as I (Amy) worked one-on-one with a sweet little kindergarten girl in my Wednesday night church class, I asked her to recite a verse she had learned earlier in the year. This particular girl is from an unchurched family and has very little knowledge of the Bible. She also has some learning challenges that make memorization very difficult for her, but she quickly responded, "I remember John 3:16!"
"Great!" I said. "Can you say it for me?"
She stumbled through the first few words before it became apparent that she didn't really remember the verse.
Wanting her to feel successful, I said, "Let's play a game! I'll say the verse, but I'll leave out some words. You fill in the words I leave out."
She got a big smile on her face and said, "Okay!"

The game went a little something like this.

Me: "John 3:___."

Girl: "16!"

Me: "Good job! John 3:16. For God so____"

Girl: "Loved the world."

Me: "That He gave His one and only ____"

Girl: "Son!"

Me: "That whoever ______"

Girl: "Believes in Him"

Me: "Will not perish but have______"

Girl: "(long pause)......um.......kids?"

Haha! Yeah.
I think I've got my work cut out for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha...that's hilarious...made me laugh. Way to help her feel...successful? I want to know what you said afterward. :)

Guntzel Girls said...

Thanks, Elena. Yeah, it was pretty adorable. I just told her the right answer (while trying very hard to stifle my giggles).

~Amy~

Anonymous said...

hey amy cute ilove john 3:16

just coming back from my dance competion, we got 4th place !!!!!

Guntzel Girls said...

Congratulations, Taylor! That's great! Can't wait to hear all about it!

~Amy~