Saturday, February 12, 2011

You Make Me Smile

I don't know about you, but lately I (Amy) have been fighting an intermittent cabin fever along with an acute case of the winter blues. The sub-zero temperatures and cloudy skies haven't helped my mood in the least! But such is life in northern Minnesota, and I'm bound and determined not to let it get the better of me, or to drag down the people around me.

So tonight I'm thinking about the little things the Lord has placed in my life that help to chase away my blues. (Disclaimer: I did not take any of the pictures below. They're all from Wikimedia, but they captured my thoughts pretty well :-). In no particular order, these are a few things that make me smile:

  • being outside--camping, hiking, walking, biking, playing yard games, boating, fishing, hunting, etc.
  • singing and playing old hymns like "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," "Rock of Ages," and "How Great Thou Art"

  • sunshine and sunsets
  • phone calls and emails from loved ones far away
  • summertime and butterflies
  • studying the Word with friends

  • the first snowfall of the season
  • each snowfall after that (up until about mid-January when winter starts feeling way too long ;-)
  • hot Russian tea in one hand and a good book in the other
  • asking and answering tough questions

  • flowers, vegetables, bees, and worms in the garden
  • babies and kids of all ages
  • the Selah song "Unredeemed"
  • surprises

  • going for coffee with friends
  • comments on our blog (hint, hint ;-)

Okay, I shared a few of mine. Now I'm curious. Am I the only one dealing with a mild, self-diagnosed case of S.A.D.? What makes you smile on these long winter days? What's been a blessing in your life lately?

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I can relate to the winter blues, Amy! Although it seems to have disappeared now that (just this week) I noticed snow drops popping through the ground and daffodils too! Spring is coming to Ireland and that means it isn't too far behind Minnesota...don't despair!

Your blog makes me smile!

The Sisters said...

Wait a minute...did you just say you like worms and bees in the garden?!?! Well...I guess I can appriciate the bees and worms from a distance, but if I'm in that garden...lets just say it isn't quite the same! ;)
~Eliza

Anonymous said...

I completely understand that cooped up mid-Winter feeling. I never thought I would say this but I can't wait for Spring! There are a few spots on campus where you can now see green grass, and it is the most wonderful sight of all!
Miss you Amy!