Saturday, February 5, 2011

Powered by Grace

Tonight, as I (Amy) was driving away from a double birthday party for two dear friends and heading to Saturday night Bible study, I got stuck. Really stuck. Backed right into a snowbank. In the dark. Not fun! I tried everything I could think of to get out. I put the van in drive, then reverse, then drive again. But it was no use. Slightly embarrassed, I trudged back to the house. Thankfully, there were five strong men inside who kindly came out into the cold to push the van out of the snow and guide me down the driveway. (Thanks guys!) Within minutes, I was on my way, thinking about Bible study and getting excited to learn more from Charles Colson's series "The Faith." About 50 feet down the road, I got stuck AGAIN. By this time, I was beyond embarrassed as I watched the guys coming to my rescue in the rearview mirror. Whoever said "chivalry is dead" needs to get stuck in snowbanks more often ;-). To make a long story short, I did eventually make it to Bible study. (Okay, so I may have gotten lost once and stuck for yet a THIRD time on my way there, but that's another story for another time.) At Bible study, we talked about how grace empowers us to live apart from the bondage of sin. Before surrendering my life to Christ, I found myself being constantly sucked into foolishness and despair. I couldn't live the way God wanted me to, because I was clinging to my sin. When I gave up my selfish will and asked the Lord to be my leader, He began pouring grace into my life. That grace not only separated me from the captivity of my sin, but gave me the power to live righteously. Sometimes I still find myself getting stuck in my old patterns of sin. But by God's grace I don't have to stay stuck anymore. It's a lot like my little snowbank adventures tonight. When I realize I'm stuck in the snow (or in sin), and that there's nothing I can do to escape on my own, I call on someone (or Someone :-) stronger than me for help. But my goal isn't just to get out of the snow (or sin). It's to move past it and to travel toward my destination (or to do the good works that Christ has planned for me). Grace isn't just about erasing. It's about empowering. This week, let's ask ourselves, "Am I stuck in sin? What do I need to confess to the Lord and turn away from?" Thank God that when we repent, He is faithful to help us out of our sin and guide us in paths of righteousness! Because of His love, we truly can be powered by grace!

No comments: