Friday, October 23, 2009

Burning Ropes

As mentioned before, my mom and I (Julie) are doing a Beth Moore Bible Study on the book of Daniel. A few weeks ago, we studied the story of the fiery furnace. While I was working on my packet of Bible Studies for my Poland trip, I came across Isaiah 43:2:

When you pass through the waters,

I will be with you;

and when you pass through the rivers,

they will not sweep over you.

When you walk through the fire,

you will not be burned;

the flames will not set you ablaze.

What a comfort to know that we don't have to fear anything, be it actual raging rivers and fiery furnaces or situations that are just as menacing. Beth talks about how God can choose to deliver us from trials in three ways: Option 1-He can deliver us from the fire, and we will be thankful that we don't have to go through that trial. Option 2-He can deliver us through the fire, and our faith will be strengthened and refined as we trust in Him more. Option 3-He can deliver us by the fire into His arms for eternity. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were delivered through the fire, but they were unharmed. In fact, the Bible tells us "...there was no smell of fire on them." (Daniel 3:27) Even more than that, the ropes that bound them were gone. Doesn't God sometimes use trials to not only strengthen our faith, but to burn the ropes of the enemy that hold us captive? Ropes of self-righteousness, doubt, fear, insecurity, and many others can be burned away, leaving us free to live for Him. That lesson really got me thinking about the ropes that are holding me captive. I pray that I will be able to come through my trials without my ropes and not smelling of smoke.

1 comment:

The Sisters said...

Thanks, Julie! I agree!
~Eliza