Monday, October 5, 2009

Cakes

As most of you know, I have developed a hobby (aka an obsession) for baking, cooking, and cake decorating. I thought I'd share some of the cakes I've done in the past few months, partly just because I am rather proud of them ;-), and partly because I am determined to post more often, and being that you probably don't want to hear about the three tubes of caulk I sold this morning, I thought I'd start with these.I made this one for our family picnic this summer. The blue part says "Olson, Guntzel, Gooch, Olson Family Picnic June 25, 2009. The red stripes have all our names, and then "Even when we're miles apart, family is always close at heart." The flag has double meaning, because we were celebrating the 4th of July, and also because Sam is training right now as an Army Ranger and will probably be deployed later this year. Please pray for his protection and for our family through this. As I think back to this past year, I have yet another reason to be thankful that I didn't go to college. If I had, I wouldn't have started working at Kal's and gotten to spend those precious few months with him before he left for training. (He was a delivery/yard/whatever I asked him to do guy) Thank you Lord!

This cake I made just because I wanted to practice. I think I brought it to a Bible Study I was doing this past summer.

This one I made for the birthday of a lady in our mom's Bible Study. I was practicing my roses.

They all tasted very good, but I think this one was my favorite to eat, being that it was ice cream. All summer at work, Ogema and Rob, the other two guys here besides my dad and his partner, kept saying they didn't think I could make an ice cream cake as good as Dairy Queen. By their own admittance, I proved them wrong!

When our friends came back from a missions trip to Poland this summer, we had a picnic so they could tell us all about it. I was asked to bring the dessert.

My aunt asked me to make a birthday cake for a co-worker of hers. I was excited to try out my new pastry tip for making the chrysanthemums.

3 comments:

The Sisters said...

Wow, Julie! Your cakes are AMAZING!!! I think my favorites are the "Welcome Back" one and the one you made "just for practice". They all look sooo pretty and delicious! Keep the pictures coming...it's great to see all your culinary masterpieces! ;)
~Eliza

The Sisters said...

All I can say is WOW! Good job.
Katelyn

Charlotte and John said...

Julie, your cakes are beautiful...and they look so good. Have you figured out a way to make a cyber cake yet so your readers can try your baking?