Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Day in the Life of Me, Myself, and I

Well, Julie's gone. I (Amy) already miss her, but I am so excited to see what the Lord does in and through her while she's in Poland and Belgium. Please keep her and her team in your prayers! Thanks, ladies, for your input on my postings for the next few weeks. Sounds like most of you like to read a mixture of practical posts, deep thoughts, and day-to-day activities, with lots of pictures throughout! So, I'll do my best to keep a variety for the next few weeks. Today I thought I'd give you a glimpse into my life. Unfortunately, I take very few pictures, so you'll have to go without this time. I will try to get pictures for my next post. Anyway, this was what my day looked like: 6:00 a.m.--My alarm rings. I spring out of bed, still way behind on sleep, but excited to see what the day will hold. I head upstairs to find out that my mom still has a migraine and will most likely be in bed all day :-(. I pour myself some cereal, grab a glass of O.J. and head to the living room to watch "18 Kids and Counting" with my little sis. It's kind of an unspoken rule in my house that we don't say anything requiring more brainpower than "Good morning" to each other before 8 a.m., so Katie and I sit in silence as we eat ;-). 6:30 a.m.--I go downstairs to my room, realize I forgot to get my laptop out of my parents' room yesterday, so I won't be able to listen to my usual Kevin Swanson radio show while I get ready :-(. I pick out some clothes to wear, straighten my hair, put on a little makeup, check up on Mom, and grab my gear for the day. 7:30 a.m.--I hop into the van, drop Katie off at school, and head over to the preschool I am interning at this semester. On the way there, I pray that God would use me to shine His light into the classroom, that my mom would get better soon, and that Julie, Hannah, and Andrew would have safe travels. I love this time with the Lord in the mornings! 8:00 a.m.--I spend a day at preschool, assisting the teachers, tidying up the classroom, rubbing backs at naptime, supervising the playground, pushing kids on swings, singing songs, calming tantrums, building block towers, tying shoes, coloring pictures, zipping jackets, and just playing with the kiddos. I really like this internship :-)! 2:30 p.m.--I head to the high school to pick Katie up while trying to find a radio station that's playing decent music at this time of the day. Since I am unsuccessful, I sing old country songs at the top of my lungs all the way there ;-). I then try to stay awake until Katie gets in the van. 3:05 p.m.--I head home with Katie in tow. On my way there, I have the awful recollection of the fact that I am supposed to be in a class that started at 3:00. Thus, I begin driving a little faster, trying (in vain) to figure out how I can turn back the hands of time and not be late to class :-(. I drop Katie off at home, check up on my mom again, grab my backpack, and head out the door. 3:25 p.m.--I arrive at school, only to find out that class is already over. Fortunately, while there I spot a dear Christian friend, exchange stories and prayer requests, and get caught up on class assignments :-). 3:40 p.m.--I email a note of apology to my very understanding professor :-). I check emails and online assignments. Then I talk with Katie for a while, as Mom lays on the couch feeling very nausceous (did I spell that right?). I get Mom something to drink, rub her back for a while, make supper, wash some dishes, and head downstairs to do homework. 8:00 p.m.--I take a break from reading an incredibly engaging textbook (did you catch the sarcasm there?) to take up the much-more-fun task of writing on our blog. I realize for the millionth time that writing is what keeps me sane, challenges my brain, and helps me to think things through :-). I talk with my dad, who has just returned from ice fishing without any good fish stories :-(. We catch up on each other's days and I silently thank the Lord for giving me such a great father. I sure love my daddy! 8:30 p.m.--Okay, so I haven't lived out this part of the day yet, but for the rest of the night, I plan to read some more of that stimulating textbook ;-(, do a bit more homework, exercise while listening to a sermon from SermonAudio.com (one of my new favorite sites), read some more in Proverbs and Colossians, write in my prayer journal, and get more sleep than I have the last few nights. Well, that's my day in a nutshell. Thank goodness tomorrow should be a little less hectic! Oh, and just as a disclaimer, I have never, ever, ever forgotten about a class before! I still can't believe I did that. Oh, well. Life has been pretty crazy around here lately. Praise the Lord that tomorrow is a brand new day and that His mercies are new every morning. And if you get a chance, please pray for my mom. Thanks for reading and good night!

4 comments:

The Sisters said...

Thanks for sharing, Amy! Sounds like a busy day! Funny thing is you don't realize how much you fit into a day 'til you write it all out...I should do that more often! :) Writing does help sort things out sometimes.
Hope your mom is feeling better...I'll be praying for her!
~Eliza

The Sisters said...

Wow! That was great! I love seeing how other people's days are going. I'm afraid mine is somewhat boring compared to yours since most of my classes are online! Thanks for sharing
Katelyn

Melanie said...

That was great, Amy! A little glimpse into your day...how fun! Tell your mom that I am praying for her! Such a bummer to feel sick.

Wisconsin Farmgirls said...

Loved reading about your life! You've been on my mind today. :)