Saturday, January 30, 2010

Keeping the Faith in Secular Classes

For the past two years, I have been enrolled in a post-secondary program that lets me take college classes for credit while I am still in high school. This program has been a blessing to me in many ways. I have saved thousands of dollars in tuition costs, since the state pays for all my classes and books. I spend way fewer hours in class each week, giving me a much more flexible schedule than I would have if I was still at the high school. And I get to study topics that I am actually interested in, rather than just ones that I have to study to meet district requirements. Overall, I am really glad I decided to do this! However, being enrolled in a secular institute generally involves taking classes taught from a secular worldview. This has definitely been the case in my experience. It seems every textbook I read assumes the belief that man is basically good, and that we must simply educate people to cause them to make right decisions. Of course, they also teach that there is no absolute standard of right and wrong (only "socially-acceptable" and "socially-inacceptable" behaviors, which obviously vary greatly between cultures), so they argue that we really shouldn't ever judge someone negatively for choosing to do something other than what we would have chosen to do. Moreover, evolution is regarded as absolute fact, and "alternative lifestyles" are seen as personal decisions that are to be supported by society. Yes, attending such classes on a regular basis can be very confusing, frustrating, and even depressing at times. But taking these classes also gives me countless opportunities to deepen my personal faith, share the hope I have in Jesus with others, and uphold a standard of truth in the classroom. Just last week, after stating that all real scientists accept the theory of evolution, one of my professors asked if anyone in the class still doubted that theory. Being the only one to raise a hand, I was then able to share one of the reasons why evolution should not be accepted as fact. In other classes, I have had opportunities to give oral presentations about my life. In those instances, I have always tried to share a bit about my testimony and about the ways my family's faith affects the way that we live. I have found that faithfully doing the things I am about to list has helped me to "keep the faith" in my secular classses. I hope that they will help some of you, as well! 1.) Be grounded in God's Word. Read your Bible every single day! You must know the truth in order to defend it. 2.) Pray for opportunities to share your faith, and then pray for wisdom in handling them when (not if!) the Lord provides. 3.) Remember that testimonies of how the Lord has worked in your life are some of the most powerful witnessing tools you have! 4.) When you encounter one of Satan's lies in a textbook or lecture, memorize a verse that disproves it. (Ex.: Lie: "Man is born inherently good." Truth: "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." (Psalm 51:5)) 5.) Show respect for your instructors. Greet them with a smile, listen attentively in class, and pray for them often. 6.) Take interest in the students around you. Ask how they are doing, and really listen to their answers. Encourage them with your words and pray for them, as well. 7.) Don't add to conversations of gossip or slander. If someone asks you something like, "I can't believe so-and-so gave us three papers to write this week! Doesn't she know that we have lives outside of her class?" you can reply, "Yeah, her class can be really challenging, but I like how she reads all of our papers so thoroughly to give us helpful feedback." Point out positives! 8.) Be real. If you're having a bad week, it's okay to say so. If you're struggling in class, ask for help. You don't have to wear a fake, cheesy grin on your face all the time. God never promises us that if we follow Him, we'll be happy all the time. But He does promise that He will be with us all the time. So even when you're feeling down, display the hope found in Christ through your words and actions. 9.) Watch your tongue. As Colossians 4:5-6 says, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your converstations be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." If someone asks you what you believe on a certain topic, and you don't know what to say, admit it. Say something like, "You know, I am not sure how to answer that. I would like to think about it and research it a little before I give an answer. Could we talk more about it next week?" Then follow through with what you've said! 10.) If you deny an opportunity to share your faith, participate in a conversation that is displeasing to the Lord, or fail to encourage a classmate, don't be discouraged. Simply take it before the Lord, ask for forgiveness, accept His forgiveness, and pray for strength and courage to do better next time. I know I have missed many opportunities to share my faith, but God hasn't given up on me yet, and He won't give up on you either! So, what about you? How do you stay strong in your faith when the world surrounds you with lies? I would love to hear what God has been teaching you in terms of keeping and sharing your faith. Please leave a comment and let me know!

2 comments:

The Sisters said...

Amy, you are so encouraging! Great reminders.
Katelyn
(We need to get together soon!)

The Sisters said...

Great post, Amy! I can definitely relate...being in the PSEO program and getting in some collage credits while learning about things in you're interested in is great...and, yes, different views are certainly taught in my classes too! It amazes me how sometimes something as beautifully designed as what our Creator has made could be thought to have evolved!
It is encouraging to see you shine as a light as you go about your daily life...I love that in everything we do---even school---we have the opportunity to glorify our LORD!!!
~Eliza