Saturday, January 2, 2010

Life Lessons from 2009

Happy New Year! Another year has passed, and what a year it was! As I'm sure is true for all of us, 2009 held many joys and sorrows for me (Amy). But looking back over the events of the past year, I see that 2009 was a year of lessons--lessons the Lord taught me, and is still teaching me, as he molds me into the woman he wants me to be. I hope to share some of those lessons with you in this post.
This year, I learned (in no particular order):
1.) That God is faithful to provide for all our needs, whether they be physical needs, financial needs, emotional needs, or spiritual needs. I don't think I could count the number of times this year that God sent a friend to encourage me when I was feeling down, or provided a needed item at a ridiculously low price just when finances were tight, or showed me a verse from His word exactly when I needed to read it. 2.) That when God neglects to fulfill a need, it isn't really a need. So often, I have begged Him for the things I so desperately wanted, only to look back later and realize that God withheld them, not due to an inability to provide them, but out of His wisdom and mercy, knowing that those things were not really best for me. 3.) That God put me where I am, with my specific family members, because He had a divine purpose for us. He fitted each of us with gifts, abilities, and personalities which fit together to prepare us to fulfill the ministry work He has placed in front of us.

my wonderful family

4.) That it is an honor, a joy, and a privilege to serve alongside my parents and sisters as we seek to please our Heavenly Father, and that treating it as such helps to make the work more enjoyable for each of us, and more honoring to the Lord. 5.) That my time is a precious gift and tool from God, and that I can either throw it away or use it productively. 6.) That friends are placed in my life not only so that they might encourage me, but so that I might encourage them. Many of my friends are enduring difficult trials at present, such as prolonged illnesses, financial hardships, broken and unhealthy relationships, loneliness, and self-destructive behaviors. Many have been in need lots of hugs, prayers, kind words, and sound counsel. All too often, I look only at what I can gain from a friendship, forgetting to consider what I might give. 7.) That God's love transcends divisions between races, genders, social classes, and denominations. This year I had the privilege of worshipping with believers of several cultures, and saw the Lord at work everywhere I went! 8.) That so much of life is about priorities, and that when my priorities are ordered incorrectly, my life becomes much more confusing.

a hug from my dad before leaving for Mexico

9.) That the more I share with my parents and seek to follow their advice, the more the Lord blesses and grows our relationships. 10.) And finally, that I am blessed far beyond what I deserve. It never ceases to amaze me that the Lord delights in redeeming the lives of those who surrender their souls to Him, and in giving them peace, love, and joy beyond their wildest dreams.

There were many more lessons to be learned in 2009, but these were just a few that I am particularly thankful for. If you get the chance, leave a comment and let us know something the Lord has taught you in the past year. We would love to rejoice with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy dear,
I think we must have been in the same "class" this year! I've been learning very much the same things except they're fitted for my personal situations.
So glad I can rejoice with you and stay in touch through this blog!
Chelsea