Sunday, February 21, 2010

Belgium Part 2

Wednesday was going to be our day to go into Brussels, and this is what we woke up to that morning. In the words of the radio announcer, it threw the city into "chaos." I laughed out loud when Marie said that. I guess it was almost to the point of schools being closed, and they were saying miles of roads were deadlocked.
Here's a closer shot. As you can see, it was less than an inch. However, after walking around downtown on the streets, I understood better why it was such a problem. On the old cobblestone streets, the wet snow was so slippery that we had trouble staying vertical on foot. We ventured out anyway, and we walked down the main shopping street, and went in many little shops.
Of course, I had to have a Belgian waffle while I was there. I had strawberries and whipped cream on it, and it was SO good.
Marie has chocolate and strawberries on hers. Just looking at these, I am craving another one.
One of the squares in Brussels.
Another side of it.
I don't know how many of these waffle stands we walked by. They make the whole street smell wonderful. We also went into a lot of chocolate shops, and to the Chocolate Museum. The museum showed the history of chocolate and how it is processed. There was also a man demonstrating the old-fashioned way of making chocolates, which was very interesting.
Ok, I almost didn't want to put this picture up, but I figured I'd better. This is one of the most famous symbols of Brussels. It is a statue of a little boy, and yes, he's doing exactly what it looks like he's doing. The story is that there was a nobleman and his son was missing or got lost or something. When the father found him, he was, um, shall we say, relieving himself. The father was so overjoyed at finding his son that he made this statue. Now it's all over on souvenirs and they have all these cartoon-y versions of it on everything too.
Some pretty gardens we walked by.Neat old buildings.
This is called the Old England Building. I guess that's because it looks like old English architecture.
Looking back down at the city from the Old England Building.
The Royal Palace. It was fun to see Marie's hometown, and I think she really enjoyed showing me around. After all this, we went back to Marie's apartment and went to bed early to get ready for the next day...

No comments: